Pages

Friday, February 8, 2008

To My Wife:



I have never known how I found so much grace in the sight of the Lord. He has blessed my life completely and has given freely. I wrote a version of this letter to my wife a little more than three years ago and now as Valentines Day and our anniversary approach, I want her to know that I love her all the more everyday.

For some background, Jane and I first met the summer before the fourth grade when she was introduced to me by a friend as Jane McKean. Our friend thought it rhymed; it did. It also embarrassed Jane so bad she couldn’t look at me for days and left not saying a word. The amazing thing for me is that I can remember what that moment felt like to this day. That name sounded right and made my heart leap.

Not a moment passed from that time, until we were married when I did not know that she was the woman God intended to be my wife. (Ask my mother...she knew too.) Our families stayed friends after Jane moved, and from time to time we would take a trip to visit them. Without fail Jane would meet me at the door and make some off-handed comment and there we were again. It felt like I was home. We still do this everyday. When it came time to leave, I would find a corner in the back of my families suburban, put my sunglasses on, and cry most of the way home.

As time passed, and the distance between us began to seem insurmountable, I couldn’t see how even the Lord could find a way through. Even if He did, could she see past all the distance that our lives had placed between us?

As it were, I could never see my life without her. It seems as though a bad dream now, however, thinking on those years brings back many of the feelings of longing that would consume me at the thought of her. The good news is that the Lord saw fit and Jane chose me. I will praise the Lord all my days and do all I can to show this woman the kind of Love that He has shown me. That is the only kind of love that is worthy of her. In my eyes, she is the loveliest of God’s creatures and if He rests after a good creation, I know he must be sitting back enjoying this one.

To my wife:

Song of Solomon 2:10-14
…Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come along. For, behold, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone:

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land.;

The fig tree has ripened its figs, and the vines in blossom have given forth fragrance. Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come along!'

O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is beautiful.


Jane, my darling, the past three years have been a dream fulfilled for me. Every new moment with you is a new blessing to me and this is only the beginning for us. I want you to know how much I value you. I want to thank you for loving me, for believing in me when I have not been able to, and for continually putting my needs above your own. Most of all, I want to thank you for loving me in spite of me.

Jane, remember when we were dating I told you that I had learned what it was to adore someone for the first time…I still adore you, but that now seems pallid in comparison to how I feel for you. If I only had the words I could tell you. I don’t and a lifetime of showing may not be enough, but I am going to try as long as you let me.

I love you,
Your Hubbin’

1 comment:

Chris and Jane said...

And that's the reason I married him! How could I resist? J.