Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Starfish

For Christmas, my sister-in-law, Carrie gave me a pair of earrings. She told me that these particular earrings were made by women who were rescued off the street by an organization called the Starfish Project. Besides my affinity for jewelry, I was really impressed with what this group was doing for these women.
I asked Carrie, in a separate conversation, what happens to the orphans that aren't adopted. Most of the girls turn to prostitution once they are turned out of the orphanages. They are not trained for any job or skill, and so they are forced to survive on the streets. This group goes out to the "massage parlors" and similar type places and befriends these women. They offer shelter, food, counseling, medical assistance, Bible studies, and job training.
I asked Carrie what the best way would be to help support this group. Aside from buying lots of cute earrings, she told me that being able to sell their products over here would be a great opportunity for them. I don't know any shop owners here, but I'm pretty sure they could use our prayers. If you are interested, check out their website: http://www.starfish-project.com/index.htm. You can read what their mission is, see what a typical day for a girl in the shelter is like, and shop for jewelry. My birthday is in November, but I'm willing to accept gifts anytime.

No comments: