Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

You've Outdone Yourself


I didn't think it was possible, but Chris has actually reached a higher echelon of dorkiness. You probably thought that there was no place for him to go but up, but alas, he has succeeded in out-dorking Urkel.
He rode his bike to work this morning and apparently it was cold out. He had to camp out in the Cedar Crest coffee shop until the sun came up. At least that's what I would say, until the sun came up. That's what most people would say.

But, when he called me to see how my morning was going that is not what he said. He said, "I had to wait for thermal loading." Thermal loading? Are you kidding me? I had to explain to him, very patiently and kindly, that only a geek would say "thermal loading." He didn't think it was weird at all. That made it even funnier. I told him not to ask the people around him at work because they are dorks too (I have evidence of this because he will come home and tell me jokes that people at work have told him and they aren't at all funny and usually involve words like "double helix" or "time-space continuum" or "string theory"--there is no way a joke can be funny with those words--it just can't be). He matter-of-factly told me that he'd said "thermal loading" this morning to quite a few of his co-workers and no one called him on it. What a missed opportunity.
It isn't an opportunity I'm going to skip out on though.

I have one more thing to say. I don't want to shock his mom or anything, but just before we started dating, Chris talked to me for two hours one night about God and the time-space continuum. And, I would have done anything. Anything. To make him stop. I'm not saying I did, but when I heard him talking to his friend Zach about it, I warned Zach that people get taken advantage of when Chris starts talking about stuff like that. It happened to me. I ended up married four months later and now we have two dogs and a child. Beware those science guys. You think it can't happen to you.

2 comments:

Chris McKean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris McKean said...

So, my choice of words went something like this; the sun may be up, but since I am in a valley I am receiving no thermal load. In this case I should speak in terms of the receiving of energy from the sun once it is up, rather than the general state of the sun's up-ness. It seemed to be the most accurate way of communicating that I was damn cold and couldn't feel my hands or toes. Now that I have explained myself everyone can tell that I am actually as cool as I think I am. (I would be willing to bet that I have a particular sister-in-law that may just have a comment on this exchange.)