Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Remembering

We've just returned from my grandpa's funeral. It's still surreal to me that he isn't around anymore. He'd been ill for quite sometime, so I'm glad he's in a better place, but it's strange to think about not seeing someone for the rest of your life. It's difficult to watch your family's pain as well. My mom and my uncle and my Nana. They feel the loss of their dad and their spouse very acutely.

My Sandpa (I named him that when I was a baby because for some reason I couldn't say Grandpa) loved Haven. He saw her for the first time when he was in the hospital in May. We thought we were losing him then because he died at home, but EMTs brought him back. I wanted him to meet Haven, and so we drove down with her. He lived for months afterwards, obviously, and got to see her a few more times, but as soon as he saw Haven his eyes lit up and he told my Nana that he loved her instantly. She won't remember him, but since he was quite a lively character I have lots of stories about him that I can tell her. I also have a vast store of songs to sing her that he taught me (some of them may need to wait until she's a bit older).

1 comment:

The Ferguson Family: said...

So very sorry for your loss Jane. Having lost all but one of my grandparents, happy memories are what gets you through. So glad you have so many to share with your baby girl.