Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Eat Your Goat

One of the things that Chris really enjoys doing is checking out new restaurants. They usually aren't nice, and they are never chains. As ethnic as it gets is typically what he goes for. For about a year now when we've been driving from Amarillo to Pampa, he's pointed out an African cafe that he's wanted to try. It never works out because we are always with other people or we are in a hurry. Also, to be completely honest, no one would want to eat at this restaurant except for my husband. And, maybe people from Africa who are missing food from home. Since we were in town, and we also had a vast array of babysitters, I told Chris we should go try it out. I was much more gung-ho about it until we were truly on our way.

I was pretty nervous when we drove up. Instinctively I knew that we are so white bread that we stand out like a sore thumb. Besides the fact that there was only one other car there. I am all for trying new things. I love trying new food--really, there isn't anything I'll say no to in that department--I may never eat it again, but I'll definitely taste it once.
As soon as we walked in a small man sitting at a table with a huge plate of food in front of him started chatting us up. He told us he was Ethiopian (I've had Ethiopian food and liked it). The restaurant, however, was Somalian. He asked us if we liked goat. Umm, OK. I was willing to try it, although my tastes definitely run more towards vegetables and rice rather than meat. Chris had goat in Chicago and thought it was tasty, so he was down.

They brought out two huge plates of goat meat. Which is to say--a bunch of hacked up pieces with the bones still attached. As well there was a salad with a section of onion, a lime, and soup. And Ranch dressing. Can't eat your African food without Ranch dressing. The goat really was tasty. Kind of like a dry roast beef. And, very fatty. There were three round pieces of thin bread unlike any I've had before--but, I'm happy with bread. I'm comfortable in the realm of bread, and so I gladly ate it and the soup. I let Chris have most of my goat. And, the dogs enjoyed the goat bones.



After we played "Guess How Old I Am" with the Ethiopian diner, who guessed that Chris and I were around 21, we ended our visit to the African Safari. It truly was an interesting dining experience. Not only did we get to see fellow patrons praying towards Mecca during our visit, we got to watch the incredulous looks of people coming in to place to-go orders when they saw us white folks there. I really think that since the owner asked us numerous times as he sat the food down in front of us, if what he brought us was OK, that he thought we'd stumbled into the wrong cafe.

No comments: