Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Stuck


I guess it is snowing a tad bit more here than anticipated. I'm basing that on the fact that they've closed I-40 through the canyon, Route 66, and Highway 14 (all the routes to our house) because there were so many car accidents the police couldn't keep up.

I didn't know the roads were that bad, so I made an attempt to get to town about an hour ago. I got as far as 14 before I turned around. It looks to me like we already have about 3-4 inches and the roads are unplowed and therefore slippery. I was proud of myself for actually making the attempt in my little car because I'm not very comfortable driving on slick roads. Having a baby in the back seat makes me even more uncomfortable. I never go very fast, so having a car accident where she could be injured is not what I worry about. I worry about getting stuck and having to trudge a few miles in the snow with a baby. That would be a bummer.

So, I made it a few miles and decided that if the roads got any worse I wouldn't be able to make it back home and decided to head back. Also, I'd just passed police cars directing traffic around an accident, and that doesn't add to my confidence level. I made it down Frost, even did well on the super hairy turn, and then got stuck in the middle of my street right in front of our driveway.

I was blocking the whole road. Granted, it's not a very busy road, but still. And, of course as I was trying to maneuver my way out of this situation, there was a big truck at the top of the hill waiting on me. Fantastic. I always like a little added pressure. It didn't help, though. I turned my tires left and right, went forward and back to no avail. We were just spinning. I pulled the dogs out of the back and took Haven from the car seat in hopes that the person in the truck waiting on me would offer to come push while I drove. No such luck. The truck attempted to back up on the hill and somehow ended up in the ditch that runs alongside our road. Which is exactly what I was trying to avoid in my car. All my twisting and turning had resulted in my inching closer and closer to the ditch, but I stopped before I hit it. So, essentially, I had got two vehicles stuck. A kindly neighbor came along and offered to help (not the people in the truck). He dug out the tires a bit, put some salt under them and then drove my car into the driveway. And, then went on up the hill to dig out the other guy.

Chris was on his way up to help me, but that's when we learned that they'd shut all the roads down in order to deal with all the accidents. And, I was so proud of myself for my superior driving abilities. Only to get stuck in the last 4 feet before my drive.

No comments: